The Johanna Malan Early Childhood Development Centre serves 65-75 children annually with formal pre-school education in Observatory, Johannesburg. These children benefit from a highly respected and successful school readiness programme. Apart from pre-schoolers from our Maria Kloppers campus, the children come from poor families in Yeoville and surrounding areas. This provides them with an important educational foundation, essential to their development and growth.
- We provide in the physical, social and educational needs of children aged 2½ – 7.
- From age 5 – 6/7 we provide a school readiness program in a Grade R class. It is very important for children to have a good educational foundation before they start Grade 1. And that is what we strive to give.
- The school provides a child-friendly environment conducive to learning, with colourful classes and a wonderful play area.
- The children’s emotional well-being is continuously developed and regularly evaluated.
- A balanced activity programme helps develop each child and ensure that he/she has a myriad of learning experiences.
- Dysfunction in the early development of language is detected and referred for corrective speech therapy.
- Children speaking foreign languages get an opportunity to improve their language skills, which prepares them for mainstream education.
- Cultural boundaries are crossed by teaching children from different language and ethnic groups to socialise in play and learning.
HISTORY OF JOHANNA MALAN ECDC
Children’s development was Johanna Malan’s passion. She was a teacher and friend of Maria Kloppers, who was directly involved in the founding of the haven for unwanted babies in 1908. It was only in 1977 when the school was built next to the Maria Kloppers Children’s Home that pre-primary education was available to children in that area.
In 2003 the Johanna Malan Early Childhood Development Centre came under the wing of Abraham kriel Childcare to stop the Centre from closing. Loving care together with intellectual stimulation and early childhood education forms the cornerstone of development for the little learners from our Maria Kloppers Campus and the surrounding community.
If you have any queries or if you require more information about this
programme, please feel free to contact us.
Johanna Malan Early Childhood Development Centre
143 Regent Street,