Our Commitment to Your Privacy
In managing the resource mobilisation responsibilities of AKB we need to collect, use and disclose personal information, but we give our assurance that any such information collected will be carefully protected and that any use of or other dealing with this information is subject to consent. We will specifically ask when we need information that personally identifies you and allows us to contact you. All personal information supplied by you voluntarily or mandatory will be recorded and processed regardless of form or medium in which the information was supplied. Our privacy practices are designed to achieve this.
What information we do collect:
We collect information of individuals as well as companies, trusts, foundations or other organisations that donate to or support the organisation or express an interest in supporting the organisation or that we wish to approach to support the organisation.
This may include:
- Company/Organisation name
- Name of contact person
- Name of individual
- E-mail address
- Telephone numbers including cellular numbers
- Postal address/Physical address
- Banking detail in the case of debit orders that need to be processed
How we collect the information:
Information is collected via means including but not limited to the following:
- Voluntary provision of information when people/companies make donations or volunteer.
- Subscription to newsletters and other communication media
- Attendance of or participation in events and projects
- Enquiries or voluntary submission of information via our website or social media
- Personal contact with data subject
- Telephonic enquiries
What do we do with this information?
We will only use your information in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected. All the information is stored on a donor database in order for us to serve our donors and supporters as well as the beneficiaries of the donations to the best of our ability.
Donor information is used to thank them for support and to report back on the programmes/projects that they support.
Donor names are used to issue receipts which include section 18A tax receipts.
For this purpose postal addresses must appear on the 18A receipt.
Email addresses are used to send receipts and acknowledgements to our donors.
We use telephone numbers to follow up if receipts are undelivered, to ensure that contact information is up to date and to keep in touch with donors.
Contact information is needed to comply with reporting or feedback requirements of donors, especially where donations were made for a specific purpose.
Communication as per the preference of donor
The contact information is also used to keep the donor or supporter updated via personal letters, e-mail newsletters or hard copy newsletters or other marketing material of needs and events relating to our work which may be of interest to them. To this end all available contact information can and will be used, including, mail, e-mail, telephone calls, text messaging and personal visits.
When we share your personal information
We will only share your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- If you have given explicit consent for us to pass the information on to a third party or to use it on a public platform
- If we are compelled to do so in the execution of our responsibilities.
- For the purposes of distributing same to various employees who assist AKB in providing services to the data subject and thus need to know the personal information of the data subject in order to render a proper and efficient service to the data subject. We will ensure that all such employees having access to the personal information of the data subject are bound by appropriate and legally binding confidentiality and non-use obligations in relation to the personal information.
- If we are using a third party purely for the purpose of processing personal information on our behalf and we have in place a service level agreement with that third party that fulfils our legal obligations in relation to the use of the personal information by the third party.
- If we need to in order to fulfil our agreed obligation to the data subject.
- If we are required by law to share the donor data.
We do not share data with anyone outside the borders of South Africa.
How do we safeguard this information?
As part of our security model, we have implemented fire-wall technology, password controls, encryption processes, antivirus software as well as physical measures. We have a ITC policies in place that ensures the security of data that every officer, employee and supplier of AKB must adhere to.
Identified staff members have limited access to this information in line with their job requirements in order to execute their tasks effectively.
We will use your personal information to transact with you via text messages, telephone, Facebook, Skype, Twitter, postal address, website or email in accordance with permissions explicitly given by you. The purpose will be to improve the experience of your interaction with us.
- You may revoke your consent at any time and we will provide unsubscribe links at the bottom of all marketing emails for that purpose.
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information.
- You have the right of access to your information.
If you would like to exercise any of these or any other legal rights you have over your personal information, please get in touch with us.
Please note that exercising these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, we will always endeavour to allow you maximum access to your rights while we continue to deliver as many services to you as possible.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
AKB conducts its business in accordance with South African legislation. AKB considers it imperative to protect the privacy interests of data subjects.
Retention of Personal Information
All Personal Information retained on our database is in accordance with the retention provisions set out in the applicable Laws and regulations of South Africa.
Our site contains links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own terms and privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for them. While we only work with selected partners, we are not responsible for the services or representations of third parties.
Please check our site on an on-going basis or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the most up-to-date information on our privacy practices.
The Marketing Manager
Abraham Kriel Bambanani
Tel. 011 8393058