Abraham Kriel Childcare runs two drop-in centers; one in Zola (100 children) and another in Emdeni, Soweto (100 children). Children in our programme go to the Centres after school. Social workers, remedial teachers and counselors are stationed at the centers so that the children are assisted with their problems and needs at all times.
What do we do?
- The development of these children remains of primary importance if we wish to break the cycle of poverty and disease. Steps are taken to ensure that children attend school. When it comes to pre-primary education, this usually means that we take responsibility for enrolment and school fees. We also ensure that the children have adequate school clothing and stationary.
- When possible, school leavers are also assisted with employments networks, skills development training or bursaries for tertiary studies.
- We provide a holistic service, including physical, emotional, educational, social/recreational and spiritual support to the children.
- Food is provided daily at the Drop-In Centres which includes a balanced lunch consisting of a protein, starch and 2 veg and 6 slices of bread. Fruit is given if and when funds are available.
- Healthcare includes visits to local clinics and supervision of medication.
- Therapy includes bereavement therapy and life skills training.
- Poverty alleviation projects include vegetable gardens and beadwork.
- Parties and outings form part of our services, which we offer as and when the opportunity presents itself.
How does it make a difference?
- Children’s marks and concentration levels have increased at school due to an adequate diet and the stimulation provided by weekly music lessons.
- Children who were once too weak to walk can now enjoy wonderful interaction with other children at the Centre.
- With the life skills learnt, a teenage boy realised he should be more responsible on weekends.
- A child who lost a loved one due to HIV/AIDS has a shoulder to cry on and much support.
- A little one’s face covered in the aftermath of a delicious lunch, is priceless!
Contact us if you have any queries or if you require more information about this programme.
Our Drop-In Centre at Emdeni, Soweto is proudly sponsored by:
See more of our other services and programmes: